Welcome to Rushlight
The Belfast Magazine's
Message Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A question to Rushlight and it's readers

I think perhaps Michelle Gildernew answered that when she said ..., " the prosecution “should not have happened” because the offence took place before the Belfast Agreement and added: “It is clear that an anomaly has arisen around some of these historical cases, a fact acknowledged by the British government some time ago along with a commitment to rectify the situation.
“Gerry McGeough should be released and allowed to return to his family in County Tyrone.”
and she is SINN FEIN !.

Thanks Eilenn and Smicker. Well, good for Gildernew, then. I hate hearing the term "offence" however. Well, I suppose the thing is if people are ever to get beyond this ALL these events just have to be let go of. I would dearly love to see hundreds of Loyalist murderers prosecuted, but the truth is is just can't do that if you are trying to move on. The Loyalist thugs always chose soft targets. The IRA had the ballocks to strike at the foe. I certainly wish all the best for Gerry. He is a man I would have many disagreements with regarding some of his very conservative ideals, but that is his right. I would like to meet him and shake the hand of a brave man who has always stood up for everything he believes in!

Well McGeough is undoubtly a more genuine and sincere republican than Adams and Sinn Fein and to me that is what counts. To zoom in on his religious beliefs is being selective and has no bearing on why he is being singed out for prosecution, he is in jail because he sees the Good Friday Agreement for the farce it is , not because he is a devout Catholic.

I agree 100%, Amy. Meant nothing against Gerry. His personal beliefs are his own, and more power to him. I merely meant that even though we would have some disagreements, I still respect the man for his dedication to Republicanism. Unfortunately for Gerry I think you would agree that his being a vocally devout Catholic makes him an even more attractive target for the six county statelet, which as we all know is still Sectarian, despite what they say publicly.